Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Observations on Philly...

Random things we've noted since arrival...

1. All the gas stations here are full-service...interesting...haven't seen this for 20 or so years. What's the protocol here, peeps? To tip or not to tip?

2. The national epidemic for obesity is lost on NJ...there's a Dunkin Donuts about every 3rd block (much like Starbucks in Seattle).

3. The City of Philly really is the City of Brotherly Love...the lady at the Museum today asked why I was in a wheelchair. I told her the basics and she comped us parking, a carousel ride, and 6 tickets to return. She also asked if she could pray for us!

4. Traffic patterns here MAKE NO SENSE...
a. Exits are often to the left.
b. Once you are on a main street, you can't turn right OR left at stoplights. You have to veer off a ramp (that can be either before or after a light) and then use go thru THAT intersection on the cross-street....huh? Brian and I have decided that someone made an excessive amount of "No Turn" signs and needed to unload them somehow.
c. They have some streetcars but the driving lanes are on the same roads IN THE SAME LANE....who gets the right of way there? My guess is, well, I'll have to let you know that one. We've a got a rental and it's a NO FAULT state...I'll keep you posted.

Let's see what else I can up with...

No comments:

Post a Comment